Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Day at The Guggenheim


On my last day in NY, Cameron was able to join me for a trip the Guggenheim. The building was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the design and construction took place over a sixteen-year period (1943-1959). Pictures of the exhibits aren't allowed but they do allow pictures from the rotunda.
We saw an exhibit entitled Zero: Countdown to Tomorrow 1950s-60s. I had never heard of this group of artists and would probably not have gone to see the exhibit but it was one of the best exhibits I saw in NY (maybe because Cameron was there). This is a link to an article about this exhibit: ‘ZERO’ exhibit at Guggenheim New York shines light on lesser known 1950s postwar artists
We also saw a Kandinsky exhibit "Kandinsky Before Abstraction, 1901-1911" and the Thannhauser Collection, the permanent collection at the Guggenheim. I prefer Kandinsky after abstraction.
Almost forgot to mention the exhibit "V. S. Gaitonde: Painting as Process, Painting as Life" His work reminded me very much of the work of Paul Klee, one of my favorite artists.
Two works by Gaitonde:


No comments: