Monday, November 17, 2014

Italian White Beans with Kale

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 shallot chopped
8 cloves of garlic sliced
1 bunch of kale chopped, discard ribs
8 to 10 sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped of leaves. Discard stems.
2 bay leaves
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ cup water
2 15oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
fresh ground black pepper to taste
½ teaspoon umeboshi plum vinegar (optional)

In a large covered pot, sauté onion, garlic, and shallot in oil until transparent. Turn heat to medium, and add water, salt, kale, bay, and thyme leaves. Cook covered until greens are soft, stirring occasionally. Turn down heat, add beans and pepper and cook another few minutes. Remove bay leaves and add umeboshi vinegar before serving.




I made this on Saturday and it was super quick and delicious. I didn't have fresh thyme so used dried and also didn't add the vinegar at the end.
I made this again Thanksgiving weekend.
This time I used two bunches of lacinato kale and fresh thyme which I didn't have the last time. This is one of my favorite dishes, very simple to make with lots of flavor.

No comments: